4 Days, 3 Nights in Sirimon-Out Chogoria route - KShs 43,500/= or $490 per person (for the 4 days)
The Sirimon Track is one of the finest approaches to the peak area. It offers some of the best views of the main peaks, with a gradual climb, which can be done leisurely. We traverse the mountain by ascending the Sirimon Track.
Day 1. Nairobi/Sirimon/Judmier Camp - (Old Moses Camp) 3-4 hrs, 9km, 860m ascent. Depart Nairobi at 8 am to Nanyuki town for lunch, taking about 4 hours. Proceed to Sirimon Gate, 1 hr, 2440m. From the gate follow the track as it winds uphill through the forest which becomes heathland after about 3 hrs. About 3½ hours from the gate the track veers right to Judmier Camp, 3300m for dinner and overnight.
Day 2. Judmier Camp/Shipton Camp 6-7hrs, 14km, 900m ascent. After breakfast, follow the track uphill, forking left at the junction. After one hour from Old Moses Camp, the track crosses Ontulili River. Go right contouring through the Moorland and crossing Liki North and continue uphill to Mackinders Valley from where there are panoramic views up the valley towards the main peaks. Dinner and overnight at Shipton Camp, 4200m,
Day 3. Shipton Camp. Spend the day acclimatizing. Walk to Kami Hut down to Hauseberg Lakes (Hauseberg Tarn and Nanyuki Tarn). Walk back to Shipton for dinner and overnight.
Day 4. Shiptons/Point Lenana/Mount Meru Bandas (Chogoria Gate) 6 hrs, 14km, 785m ascent. Leave at 3am up a steep stony quarry that cuts through a cliff clearing visible part towards lower Hall Tarns arriving point Lenana at 6:30 am, taking about 3hrs. After the sunrise, descend down to Mintos hut, 2hrs, for breakfast and further hrs down to Mount Meru Bandas, 2950m, for dinner and overnight,
Day 5: Chogoria Bandas/Chogoria/Nairobi. Descend 2hr, 15km to forest clearance to catch a 4x4 transfer vehicle to Chogoria Village where you will connect with your transfer vehicle back to Nairobi
The package includes:
- Accommodation whilst on safari (no need for tents, just your sleeping bags)
- All transfers and as mentioned above
- Park entry fees at the park (Mt. Kenya)
- All park entry and conservation fees
- Lunch at Nanyuki & The Chogoria Exit
- All the meals whilst mountaineering
- Services of a professional guide
- We shall all have a porter each (thus guests will only be carrying their day packs)
Excluded from your safari:
- Beverages and other extras in Nanyuki
- All activities not mentioned above
- Items of a personal nature
- Personal insurance covers (including emergency evacuation cover)
- Cost of Safari
What you need to Carry or hire out:
- Sleeping Bag - 250/- per day
- 2 Warm trousers
- 2 Warm jackets
- 3 T-shirts
- Pairs of socks
- Hiking boots - 250/- per day
- Rain trousers - 100/- per day
- Rain jacket (waterproof) - 100 per day
- Rack sack
- Also, note that you need to exercise at least the week before to be physically fit.